Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Playing Catch Up

Last week after a mix up of plans and bailing on Jen Lancaster's book signing, Jessica and I decided to hit up Habana. She has always wanted to go and I had only been there for drinks, so off we went! It's always nice being 2 minutes away from her so we can do local Costa Mesa-ish things last minute or when we're feeling emo. I was going to go meet her straight after work from the studio and decided to drag Carina along for a little girl time. Yay!


We're starting to amass quite the picture catalogue. Watch out Claire! Ha!

A couple of hot blondes.

Crab cakes with cream cheese as the glue instead of mayo. Pretty yummy!

Super yummy flatbread with tomatoes, grilled onions, garlic, and goat cheese. Those are also yucky kalimata olives. None of us like them, but in all our passive aggressive glory, we just picked them off onto our plates instead of mentioning to each other we aren't big fans. Ha.

Tomato Soup with Plantain Chips... I wasn't excited about this, but it actually had a nice little kick to it.

FRIED AVOCADO!!!!!! Yum. I'm obsessed with avocado and am always looking for a new way to eat it.

Fried Banana Fritters with vanilla bean ice cream. Just meh.

The best part of Habana is by far the drinks, which I didn't take pictures of. Boo. I had my favorite Blackberry Mojito which is chock full of fresh mint and blackberries. Not too sweet and super refreshing. I easily could have had more than two. Jess had some kind of Strawberry Lemon drop thing that also had a bunch of fresh strawberry pieces through out. So, so good. Carina had her requisite one glass of red wine. Boring. It was a good night of chit chatting on the gorgeous patio and picking at each others food. Lovely.

Memorial Day was spent at a couple of BBQs. Cat called me last minute and since I haven't seen her in forever, I decided to get my lazy bum up and out of the house on Monday for some good friends and good food.

Tory and Jaymes cooking up some amazing carne asada and homemade salsa.

Jodi with her classy beverage.

Not the cutest picture of us, but its been too long not to post. (P.S. I gotta get a new hairstyle that doesn't include the hair twist. Fail.)

We stayed there for a few hours and caught up on all our girl drama, had some amazing tacos, and a few beers. I was going to head home after this, still feeling a bit under the weather, but since she was heading just down the way to another BBQ, I thought I'd tag along. I hadn't seen Cat in over a month so I'll take what I can get. Had a few more hours of lounging, more girl drama talk, and a few strawberry margaritas. That is where all went down hill. I can't do the overly sugary drinks plus the sun plus so much food. Ick. I went home and crashed with Tallulah in bed for a couple hours. I woke up and pounded some water and had a bunch of aspirin to avoid any up and coming hangovers, but my whole body just ached and I felt like shit. I'm still pretty achey and creaky today, but am holding out for a spontaneous recovery. Me? Sick? Pshh, no way!


Anyway... I have something weighing heavily on my mind and will write it out when I feel a little more collected. Sigh

6 comments:

  1. Nice food pics and commentary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat! I haven't seen her in far too long. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the hair twist! Did you ever come up with a new hairstyle idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look like Gigantor next to Carina in that picture! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG that food looks A-MAZE

    My hair on the other hand? Scare.

    I miss you girls, too :)

    ReplyDelete