Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Hit me with your best shot

So, a few of you already know, but I signed up for eHarmony a little while ago.


Show me all those compatible boys, eHarmony!

I've had a bazillion brides say they met their fiance's on the site and while I'm not looking for a husband, I thought I'd give it a shot. eHarmony's sign up process takes FOR-EV-ER. You fill out a huge survey with about 100 questions varying from open ended questions, multiple choice, and agree strongly to disagree strongly questions. Supposedly it matches you up with other people based on all these points. I like it because they give me a handful of options daily instead of me having to sift through a million profiles and deciding if they're cute or not. Here is a bit of what eHarmony says about yours truly:

You are best described as: Consistently taking care of others, curious, sometimes steady but sometimes responsive, focused and flexible, sometimes outgoing and sometimes reserved


Words that describe: Sympathetic, Altruistic, Compassionate, Straightforward, Deferential, Generous, Inventive, Brave, Eccentric, Out-of-Touch, Avant-Garde, Adaptable, Engaged, Receptive, Passionate, Organized, Uncommitted, Reliable, Civil, Amiable


Now these are pulled from a bunch of different categories so they seem random, but they make sense in context. It cracks me up that they are so blunt about it. No sugar-coating. It's official.. even eHarmony knows I'm out-of-touch. Ha.

Anyway... went on my first date with LAPD. 24, marketing degree, 6'2, brown hair, generally jock/abercrombie style (hey, i'm giving everyone a chance,) and on his way to becoming an officer for the LAPD. For our first date we met for a quick cup of frozen yogurt. The conversation was slow at first, but definitely picked up. We have very similar senses of humor (see: dry) and we talked a lot about him going through the process of becoming a police officer since I know all about it from my brother who works for Orange PD. Pleasant enough, but no sparks. Fun fact about LAPD: he got his HS girlfriend's name tattooed on his chest when he was 18 and is in the process of having it lasered off. Dork. Atleast he was well aware of his stupidity and made light of it.

He called the next day asking if he needed to have the tattoo of my name on his other pec completed or just the appointment made before he took me out again. I thought it was funny so I accepted his request for another date. Tonight, we went to the Clubhouse and I had a suppperr yummy herb crusted salmon salad with asparagus, cucumber, and balsamic vinegarette and vanilla bean creme brulee with fresh berries for dessert.
I don't know if I was grumpy/tired because I hadn't eaten since noon and we had dinner late in the evening or what, but I was not much for conversation. It was a bit more strained and him being receptive of my dry, sarcastic humor from the first date pretty much went out the window. It was way too much work for a second date and we called it quits after dinner instead of the movie plans we had in mind. Ah well. At least my (free) dinner was delicious. I didn't expect LAPD to be the one and I'm actually pretty excited about a couple of ones in my inbox. Wish me luck.

11 comments:

  1. I don't know if this will encourage you or disturb you, but my dad is on eHarmony and loving it.

    Don't worry. He is only looking for women in their fifties. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dead at the monkey's post.

    good luck. one pair of my good friends met there, and the guy had decent experiences with the others he met through eharmony before finding his now wife. another pair i know were first loves (a looong time ago, haven't been together in forever), and it paried them up. ha!

    good luck, and the date updates are fun. clubhouse is quite yummy, too. yay for free food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I got rejected from eHarmony, heh. I'd set you up with my brother, but he's kinda sad on paper :/ My BFF went out with a cop a few months ago. He went upstairs to go to the bathroom and came back with no shirt on. And that was their last date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I once tried to join eHarmony before I met my husband, but I just couldn't make it through the freaking questionnaire. I hope there's a great guy on there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met my husband through Match.com. I tried eHarmony and it said they had no matches for me. :( Sad. It took me about 4-5 dates with so so guys before I found J. I know you will find a great guy soon!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a great attitude about all of this. I can't wait to hear more about your dates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry LAPD didn't work out, but I can't wait to hear about future dates!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GL R! Lol at NCM. Sorry LAPD didn't work out but hopefully the best is yet to come. Keep us updated on this, I am really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our roommate had good luck on chemistry.com which is a similiar build to eharmony without the "looking for a spouse" type of feeling.

    Sorry about LAPD but that's too weird. R's in the process of going through to Orange PD and if budget strikes again, he's going to LAPD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no luck on eHarmony but met the hubs on Match. If nothing else, it's great entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo to strained conversation...but I'm glad there are other prospects!

    ReplyDelete